Cumbrian hospitals resume operations following major incident
All planned operations and procedures are to resume at two Cumbrian hospitals where a major incident was declared.
Non-emergency operations at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary and the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven were halted by health bosses on Thursday.
They blamed "consistently high" admissions and problems arranging social care for elderly patients.
North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust said all patient services at both sites should now be running as usual.
The trust said that despite a busy weekend there had been some improved bed availability and flow of patients both into and out of hospital.
A spokesperson for NHS Cumbria Clinical Commissioning Group, said: "All parts of the health system in North Cumbria have had a busy weekend and it is testament to everyone's hard work that we have been able to maintain a positive position within the busy acute hospitals.
"We will continue to work together with all partners in the coming days to ensure that these efforts further improve in the week ahead and as we look forward to the Easter bank holiday weekend."
Emergency patients were transferred to hospitals in Newcastle, Hexham and Morecambe Bay because of the crisis.
When a hospital declares a major incident it indicates the pressure on services has forced the need for special measures to be introduced.
The declaration allows hospital bosses to call in extra staff to help.