Derby

Cigarette blamed for fatal Somercotes house fire

A cigarette started a fire which left a woman dead, investigators in Derbyshire have said.

The emergency services were called to a property on Queen Street in Somercotes on 11 April and found the first floor well alight.

An initial report has also said smoke detectors in the house did not seem to be working.

Floral tributes have been left at the scene for the victim, who has not yet been formally identified.

Fire safety officers are also putting up a stall in the town to offer advice to residents on how to guard against fires.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites