Firefighters say cigarette caused fatal Derby fire

A 67-year-old man has died after a house fire in Derby.

Emergency services were called to Bradgate Court off Staunton Avenue, in Sunnyhill, at about 17:00 GMT on Wednesday.

The man was brought out of the property and taken to the Royal Derby Hospital - but later died from his injuries.

A spokesperson from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue said early investigations showed the fire could have been started by a discarded cigarette.

It is believed a canister near the cigarette caught fire and exploded, the fire service spokesperson added.

Firefighters reminded smokers to make sure cigarettes were properly stubbed out and to use a deep ashtray.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites