Derby

Willington cylinder fire prompts evacuation

Amateur footage of fire
Image caption Residents reported hearing a bang but the emergency services said no cylinders had exploded

Dozens of homes in Derbyshire have been evacuated after a fire in a property containing gas cylinders.

Emergency crews were called to Sealey Close, Willington, at about 12:00 BST to reports that a garage was on fire.

A 200m exclusion zone was put in place after it was confirmed the building contained two cylinders of highly inflammable oxy-acetylene.

Police said a smaller zone may be in place for up to 24 hours. A rest centre was set up a nearby community hall.

Children at Willington Primary School were kept inside and the school contacted parents to alert them to the situation.

The fire service said it would keep at least one appliance at the scene overnight to cool the cylinders.

Resident Richard Steele said: "We heard a bang and I looked out of the back window because the house had shook as well.

"At first I thought a house was on fire but then I saw it was the neighbour's garage, so we got out of there as quickly as we could."

There are no reports of any injuries.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites