Media playback is unsupported on your device

Woman relives 'frightening' allergic reaction

14 October 2013 Last updated at 06:20 BST

Derby trading standards says it has seen an increase in the number of complaints from people who have had serious reactions to food allergies after eating at restaurants and takeaways in the city.

Officers say many food outlets are failing to label their menus correctly or listen to customers with allergies.

Inside Out spoke to Tessa Coates from Nottingham, who said she went into anaphylactic shock and could have died after eating a meal at a Derby restaurant that contained traces of nuts.

She said many people failed to understand the seriousness of food allergies.

Watch the full report by BBC Inside Out: East Midlands on BBC One on Monday, 14 October at 19:30 BST and nationwide thereafter on the iPlayer.

Most watched

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.