Derby

Jackdaw swallows pair of tweezers

Jackdaw X-ray Image copyright RSPCA
Image caption The bird swallowed a pair of tweezers that stretched almost the entire length of its body

A juvenile jackdaw that swallowed a pair of tweezers has survived after emergency surgery.

The weeks-old baby bird has made an "incredible" recovery since eating the tweezers while being hand-fed, an RSPCA spokesman said.

The male jackdaw was rushed for specialist animal surgery in Cheshire on Monday from a garden in Swadlincote, Derbyshire, where it was found.

The tweezers stretched almost the full length of the bird's body.

'Little fighter'

Vets were concerned the young bird would die from the internal damage but it is now on the mend after an "intricate hour-long procedure", RSPCA vet Bev Panto said.

"When I saw the X-rays and the size of the tweezers he had swallowed, I thought there was absolutely no chance this poor jackdaw could survive.

"The tweezers stretched the whole length of his digestive system - right from his crop to his intestines and the sharp ends were piercing through his skin."

Image copyright RSPCA
Image caption The "plucky" bird survived the operation and was eating well the next day
Image copyright RSPCA
Image caption Bev Panto said she had never seen a case like it in six years as a wildlife specialist vet

The vet said the tweezers were removed by opening up the bird's stomach.

"We think it is possible this bird was being hand-fed and then tried to eat more than just the food.

"He has proved quite the little fighter. He seems as right as rain and has been eating well ever since.

"He obviously has quite the tweezer fetish though so we have to be extra careful when feeding him!"

She said it was "the most incredible case" she had ever seen in six years as a wildlife vet.

"Whilst he still has a long way to go, and lots of healing to do, he has amazed us all so far, and we are hopeful we will be able to see him through to release."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites