Probe into dog 'poisonings' at Poppy Wood Park in Derbyshire
An investigation has been launched after a dog died and two others suffered seizures following visits to a popular walking spot.
The Forestry Commission said at least three dogs were taken ill after visiting Poppy Wood Park in Melbourne, Derbyshire, in recent days.
The site's parking area has been closed by park volunteers, who cannot guarantee it is "a safe environment".
A park-wide search for poisonous substances will now be carried out.
Alan Dowell, from the Forestry Commission, said: "Our local volunteers took the decision to close the car park because we were getting reports a dog had unfortunately died and a couple of others had suffered seizures which were out of character.
"We've not done any recent operations on site, so there's nothing on there relating to any form of fungicides or pesticides.
"We've going to be doing a walk-through on Thursday to see if anything has been inadvertently left on site - checking, particularly, the area of the stream."
Dakota, a three-year-old female dog, fell ill within hours of visiting the park on Saturday.
She was taken to an emergency vet but later died.
Owner Karen Dean said: "It looked like she'd had a seizure, with drool and stuff around her mouth and her tongue hanging out.
"She couldn't move and was crying the whole time because she was in so much pain.
"The emergency vet said it looked like she had eaten something that poisoned her."
Reports of two other dogs having seizures after visiting Poppy Wood Park came to light when Ms Dean posted on the site's Facebook page.
Mr Dowell said the car park would remain closed until he was satisfied the park was safe.