Police visit Exeter boy, 16, over Facebook disorder bid
A 16-year-old boy in Exeter has been visited by police over attempts to incite "disorder" in the city via Facebook.
Devon and Cornwall Police said the youth was "given words of advice" over a posting on the social networking site on Tuesday.
A similar posting about Plymouth on the same day is also being investigated.
There have been no disturbances so far but police said they were continuing to monitor the local situation.
Chief Superintendent Steve Swani said: "We continue to reassure our communities that everything possible is being done to protect them and deal with any potential disorder at the earliest opportunity.
"There is nothing at all to suggest this will happen, but we continue to prepare for every eventuality as the public would expect us to do.
"People will obviously be alarmed by what they are seeing is happening in other parts of the country, but there is no suggestion that this is going to happen in Devon and Cornwall at this time."
The force said intelligence was continuing to be gathered from social networking sites to identify "potential issues and disorder" before it began.
It said 25 officers sent to assist the Metropolitan Police in London would remain in the capital for the foreseeable future.
Officers also joined colleagues from Avon and Somerset on the streets of Bristol on Tuesday night.
They were involved in dispersing groups of young people who were out in districts including St Pauls, Stokes Croft and the area around the Cabot Circus shopping precinct.