Fires rip through listed house and thatched roof in Devon

Bishops Tower
Image caption Dogs trapped inside Bishops Tower were rescued by fire crews

Two fires have caused major damage to a listed house and the thatched roof of another building.

Trapped dogs were rescued from Bishops Tower at Offwell, near Honiton in Devon.

The blaze struck the building, that dates from the 1840s, at about 13:30 GMT.

Meanwhile a large section of thatched roof was destroyed at a house in Yealmpton, near Plymouth. No injuries were reported.

Image caption Ten fire engines were called to a thatched house fire in Yealmpton near Plymouth

It is believed the fire started in a chimney and spread to the roof.

Paul Banham, who runs the local post office said, there had been "a great mass of smoke drifting across the valley".

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites