Devon

Girl, nine, suffers 'acid-like' burns from sunscreen says mother

Louise Nickles and Olivia Bennett Image copyright Louise Nickles
Image caption Louise Nickles says she applied the sunscreen to her daughter Olivia when they were on holiday in Mexico

A nine-year-old girl looks like "someone's sprayed acid on her" after using a popular sunscreen, her mother has claimed.

Louise Nickles, from Exeter, said she applied Banana Boat Ultramist Kids SPF 50 to her daughter Olivia Bennett while they were on holiday in Mexico in June.

Ms Nickles said her daughter's legs broke out in blisters and is calling for the product to be removed.

Banana Boat said it stood by "the quality" of its products.

The firm said its products "undergo rigorous internal and independent testing to ensure they are appropriately labelled, including for SPF, and meet all relevant regulations".

Click here for live updates on this story

A GP in Devon subsequently gave Olivia moisturiser and a steroid cream and warned she may be left scarred.

Ms Nickles said: "I really want it just taken off the shelves, and for other people to be aware of it."

Image copyright Louise Nickles
Image caption Olivia Bennett was allegedly left with burns and blisters on her legs after using the sunscreen

She has instructed solicitors to consider whether she could take legal action against the company.

Another mother, Krista Temple, from Ohio in the US, said her six-year-old son's skin became "red and bumpy" after using the same sunscreen.

She said it had taken "almost a week" for the reaction to die down.

A spokesman for Banana Boat said it was speaking to the family "to receive all the necessary product information so the origin and source of the product purchased in Mexico can be verified".

The spokesman said: "Consumers can rest assured that all Banana Boat sun care products are formulated to be safe and effective when used as directed by the product label."

Several Banana Boat sun care products were voluntarily withdrawn from shelves in the US in 2012 by Energizer Holdings Inc due to a potential risk of the product igniting on the user's skin if it came into contact with a source of ignition before the product was completely dry.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites