Devon

Rescued barn blaze pup dies along with three others from litter

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionTwo-day-old puppies are rescued in barn fire

One of two puppies rescued from a barn fire and saved with the help of pet-friendly oxygen masks has since died.

The two-day-old pups were treated with the specialist kit that had been donated to Newton Abbot Fire Station.

Three other puppies died at the scene of the fire on Hatherleigh Lane, Bovey Tracey on Monday afternoon.

A spokesperson for the fire station said the kit would hopefully "save many more loved pets in the future".

Read more on this story and other news in Devon.

For more stories about pets follow BBC England's Pinterest board.

Image copyright Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption The specialist equipment was used to help the puppies breathe
Image copyright Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption One puppy was treated for burns but later died

The specially designed masks cover the dogs' snouts and help increase oxygen flow into their lungs, the spokesman said.

One puppy had burns and was treated with special gel to ease the pain, but later died.

Their mum managed to escape unharmed.

Image copyright Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption A fire crew from Newton Abbot Fire Station was assisted by colleagues from Bovey Tracey and Mortonhampstead
Image copyright Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption Three other puppies in the litter also died in the barn fire

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites