Devon

'Twitching' spaniel was high on drugs, say vets

Dog Image copyright Zoe Richards
Image caption Lennie is now back in the pink after his terrifying ordeal

An unwell dog that was taken for treatment by his owner was high on drugs, vets have said.

They examined Lennie the spaniel after he ate something that made him sick on the Northam Burrows, near Bideford in Devon, on Sunday.

Veterinary surgeon Katherine Garside said Lennie "was twitching a lot" and "hallucinating".

"We were suspicious he had some recreational drugs or maybe some magic mushrooms," she said.

More on the dog on drugs story, plus more Devon and Cornwall news

'Something that wasn't there'

After being treated at Witten Lodge Veterinary Centre, the plucky spaniel has since recovered and returned home.

"He definitely started hallucinating. He kept trying to catch something that wasn't there," Ms Garside said.

She said it looked as though Lennie was possibly going to have a fit but he became less manic after receiving diazepam.

She said the drugs Lennie wolfed down could also have been amphetamines or cannabis.

Ms Garside added that although it was possible he had ingested toxins from mouldy food, this was "less likely" because Lennie had not suffered from blood abnormalities as would be expected.

Image copyright Zoe Richards
Image caption Diazepam was used to treat Lennie

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites