Poole family flee fire caused by smoker

Firefighters in Dorset have warned of the dangers of carelessly discarded cigarettes after a family of six fled a house fire - just days after a similar incident caused the death of a man.

Fire crews were called to a terrace house on Beckhampton Road, Poole at 2225 BST on Tuesday.

The family had been alerted by a smoke alarm and left the building.

A man died in a fire after apparently falling asleep while smoking in a flat in Bournemouth on Saturday.

Fire and Rescue officials in the county stressed cigarettes should be extinguished and placed into a suitable container.

Fire investigation officer, Mike Cox said: "As we unfortunately saw earlier in the week, this could have been a much more serious incident.

Damage was restricted to the first floor with firefighters able to save the roof and remainder of the property.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites