Man rescue wife, 87, from fire in Bournemouth
A man rescued his 87-year-old wife after an electric blanket caught fire inside their Dorset home.
Gerry Derham heard his wife Doreen crying for help from their bedroom in Western Avenue, Northbourne, near Bournemouth, in the early hours.
The couple had been staying in different rooms as Mrs Derham was ill.
Station manager Sean Frampton said if Mrs Derham had not raised the alarm, the couple could have died as there was no smoke alarm inside the house.
He added: "The couple had a very, very lucky escape.
"If Mrs Derham had not been able to waken her husband, we would very simply be looking at a fire death."