Fire severely damages family home in Dorset

The roof of a family home in Dorset has been seriously damaged after fire broke out in a chimney.

Firefighters were called to the property in Hyde, near Wareham, in the early hours of Saturday.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said they arrived to find a mother and father and their son in nightclothes waiting in their car.

About 40 firefighters were involved in putting out the fire, which is thought to have started in a log burner.

Crews cut away part of the roof to make sure the fire did not reignite.

The Red Cross Fire Support vehicle was called to help the residents, who were woken by a smoke alarm.

Incident commander Louis Minchella said: "This was an extremely lucky escape. The damage to the property is extensive although the crews did an excellent job in salvaging much of their belongings.

"The Red Cross support vehicle and staff also did an excellent job of clothing the occupants who were in their nightclothes in their car when we arrived."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites