Dorset Olympic town raises concerns over youth crime
Residents have voiced concerns following a brawl which broke out in Dorset involving 30 teenagers.
A meeting was called on Wednesday evening after families living on Portland raised fears about youths.
Riot police were dispersed to Easton Square on 8 January and four teenagers were charged with criminal damage and public order offences.
Sgt Neil Wood said patrols had been stepped up in the town, due to co-host sailing events for the 2012 Olympics.
Resident Chaz Charlton told the meeting: "Basically, it's a no-go area.
"The problem is we have got the Olympics coming up next year and if we can't police our juveniles, how are we going to police the Olympics."
Sgt Wood said he did not consider the brawl to mean the island was "back to square one".
He said violent crime and anti-social behaviour had reduced by nearly 100 cases between October and December, compared to figures over the previous three months.
"We consider these reductions to be a good start but rest assured that tackling anti-social behaviour and violence on Portland remains our priority," Sgt Wood said.