Dorset

Poison blamed after dogs fall ill on Bournemouth heath

Badger the dog
Image caption Badger the dog was taken ill after eating one of the pellets

A number of dogs have been taken ill in Dorset after swallowing poison pellets on a heath which is popular with dog walkers.

Pet owners contacted the council and police after finding the poison on Talbot Heath, off East Avenue, Bournemouth.

Dorset Police said the pellets were potentially lethal to dogs. Some animals have required vet treatment.

It is suspected they may have been used in an attempt to get rid of foxes.

They have been sent away for analysis.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites