Dorset

Dog alerts family to house fire in Dorset

A family's dog woke them up by barking while their Dorset house was on fire.

Fire crews said the dog alerted the family to the blaze in Woodend Road, Bournemouth, before smoke alarms went off.

Firefighters extinguished the fire with two sets of breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet, early on Sunday.

The cause of the fire was an electrical fault in a motor unit of a fridge, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said.

Fire personnel instructed the family to leave the property after they made a 999 call.

Firefighters arrived within five minutes of the call, made at 0110 BST.

The fire and emergency support vehicle, crewed by the Red Cross, provided the family with shelter and support.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites