Dorset fire crews tackle two thatch fires
More than 50 firefighters have tackled a blaze at a thatched cottage in west Dorset.
Ten crews were called to the fire at East Bexington near Abbotsbury on Wednesday evening.
It is thought the fire began in the chimney and spread to the entire roof of the house.
Firefighters were called shortly before 1830 BST and tackled the blaze using a water carrier and shuttle system due to a lack of water nearby.
Station manager Dave Myers urged people to sweep their chimneys regularly.
He said: "The function of sweeping the chimney is to remove the deposits that build up. This lessens the chances of the chimney catching fire."
Later the same evening, 40 firefighters were called to a second thatch blaze at a house in Winterborne Tomson near Blandford.
Firefighters made breaks in the thatch to stop it spreading and half the roof was saved.
Four of the eight fire engines remained at the property overnight damping down.
Crews also tackled large fire on Canford Heath in the same day.