Winton fire family 'lucky' to be alive
A family of two adults and three children are said to be "incredibly lucky" to be alive after a fire at their Dorset home.
When firefighters arrived at the three-storey house in Winton, Bournemouth, smoke was pouring out of the windows.
Crews found the family in the garden and led them to safety. They were taken to hospital after breathing in smoke and the father had burns to his hands.
An investigation has begun into the fire, which happened early on Saturday.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said there was no evidence of a smoke alarm.
Richard Coleman, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service station manager, said he could not "quite believe how they managed to escape with their lives".
He said the source of the fire was "right outside a bedroom door".
"At the moment we can't see any evidence of smoke alarms in the building," he said.
"Those smoke alarms would have alerted them very early on that there was a fire and would have prevented the injuries and the smoke inhalation that's got the family in hospital.
"They're something that only cost a few pounds and will alert you far before the fire ever becomes a problem.
"It's the number one thing that we encourage people to get.
"It would appear to be incredibly lucky that one of them probably woke up and managed to get the rest out."