Poole toddler died in blind cord accident
- 6 October 2011
- From the section Dorset
A toddler died after becoming entangled in a blind cord in his bedroom in Dorset, an inquest has heard.
Rithik Chakrabarti, who was 18 months old, was found with his head caught up in the cord in his bed on 5 May.
The court heard he was taken to Poole Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The coroner at Bournemouth recorded a verdict of accidental death.
The boy was discovered by his father Amitabha Chakrabarti in an awkward position in their family home in Poole.
He had gone to check on his son who had been asleep but found him lying there "lifeless, cold and blue".
Describing events, Mr Chakrabarti broke down in tears and said: "I thought this [bed] was the safest place in the world."
Tried to resuscitate
The Roman blind around Rithik's neck was so tight it had to be cut off with scissors.
Mr Chakrabarti and his wife tried to resuscitate their son and paramedics were called.
The toddler was taken to hospital by ambulance but was pronounced dead about 20 minutes after he arrived there.
A post-mortem examination found Rithik died from asphyxia due to ligature compression of the neck.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) said: "We typically hear about one or two children dying after becoming entangled in blind cords in the UK each year and there are many more near misses.
"The danger for young children is that a loop which hangs at waist height for an adult could slip around the neck of a young child if he or she falls or, if the loop is at floor level, it could become wrapped around the neck of a baby who is crawling."
Rospa said a majority of blind cord accidents happened in the bedroom and involved children aged between 16 and 36 months old.
Dorset Police described it as a "tragic accident".