Dorset

Woman rescued from Southbourne flat fire

A woman was rescued from a fire, believed to have been caused by a cigarette, in her Dorset flat.

Dorset Fire and Rescue was called to the property in Southern Road, Southbourne, at about 21:00 GMT on New Year's Day.

Three crews used breathing apparatus and hose reels to tackle the blaze in the smoke-logged flat.

The woman was led to safety and taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Christchurch station manager Dai Jones said: "The cause of this fire is believed to have been unattended smoking materials.

"As a fire service, we can't say don't smoke but we can say if you're going to smoke, please, please ensure that everything is extinguished into a suitable container before you go to bed or fall asleep.

"In this case, the occupier has had a really lucky escape. It is such a sad start to the year to have smoke and fire damage to your home and possessions, and this can be easily prevented."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites