Elderly woman rescued from blaze by member of the public

An elderly woman was rescued from a flat fire by a member of the public, the fire service have said.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service have praised the rescuer's "brave actions," but urged the public not to tackle fires unaided.

The pensioner, who was rescued from a property in Fordington, Dorchester, was treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire service said the small blaze at around 10:30 BST on Sunday was an accident.

Paper had been left too near an electric heater in the living room of the flat on Pound Lane.

A spokesman said: "While Dorset Fire and Rescue Service praise these brave actions, we would like to remind the public if they do come across a fire please dial 999 and ask for the fire service."

Crews from Beaminster - who were returning from a previous incident - and Dorchester were on the scene within four minutes.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites