Camp Bestival explosion injures man and woman

Camp Bestival tent Campers put water on the man and woman's burns until paramedics arrived

Two people have suffered serious burns in an explosion at a music festival campsite in Dorset.

A woman was airlifted to a specialist burns unit with injuries described by the ambulance service as "life-changing".

A man was taken to hospital by ambulance after the blast at Camp Bestival on Thursday afternoon.

Witnesses reported seeing a fireball in a camping area for traders at the event in the grounds of Lulworth Castle.

'Actions invaluable'

Firefighters believe the cause was a gas leak from a cooking stove cylinder.

Investigators from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said leaking gas ignited another cylinder nearby.

Steve Underhill, of the fire service, said: "As soon as the explosion occurred it alerted other campers.

"They came forward with extinguishers, with buckets and bottles of water and quickly put the fire out in the tent, but then applied cooling water to the casualties.

"Their actions were invaluable."

The blast destroyed one tent and damaged another. The woman was taken to hospital in Bristol while the man was transferred to Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester.

A spokesperson for Camp Bestival said: "Following this incident further safety messages and briefings have been put into place to reinforce fire safety practices.

"Everyone at Camp Bestival wishes both persons a speedy recovery."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset

Weather

Bournemouth

19 °C 9 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on BBC News

  • bikeWheels of change

    Ten new bikes that are reinventing the humble two-wheeler for the 21st Century

Programmes

  • A bird of prey in a Tokyo animal cafeThe Travel Show Watch

    From cats to rabbits and birds of prey – Tokyo’s flourishing animal cafe scene

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.