Victoria Syme caravan fire death blamed on halogen heater

Burnt out caravan in Wyke Regis The caravan was completely destroyed in the fire

Related Stories

A 26-year-old woman died when some clothes were set alight by a halogen heater, engulfing a caravan in flames, an investigation has found.

Victoria Syme's body was discovered by firefighters called to the burning caravan at Wyke Regis, Weymouth in Dorset, on 7 January.

Fire investigation officer Steve Underhill described it as a "really tragic incident".

An inquest in Dorchester recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning about the dangers of halogen heaters following the verdict.

Mr Underhill said: "We believe the fire started after a halogen heater was left near flammable materials, in this case clothes.

"These clothes ignited and quickly caused the entire caravan to be involved in fire.

"I strongly urge anyone using a halogen heater to think about what is around the heater and make sure any clothes or other flammable materials are at least one metre away."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset

Weather

Bournemouth

Min. Night 19 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SleepSleep on it

    Is it possible to strengthen your brain's synapses while you slumber?

Programmes

  • A man holds a sign which reads Bring Back Our GirlsHARDtalk Watch

    Why there is still hope and optimism for the rescue of Nigeria’s kidnapped schoolgirls

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.