Rico Dardis death: Two guilty of boat propeller murder
- 30 June 2014
- From the section Dorset
Two men have been found guilty of murder after a dismembered body was found in the sea off Dorset.
Rico Dardis, 30, was found in the water off Christchurch in May 2013. He had been run over by a boat's propeller.
Paul Gerlach, 52, and Louis Borzoni, 50, were convicted of his murder by a jury at Winchester Crown Court.
Gerlach, who was jailed for 17 years, was secretly recorded telling his wife: "I murdered him." Borzoni, who did not give evidence, received 15 years.
The trial heard the victim, from Boscombe, had gone out on a boat with the two defendants on the Whitsun Bank Holiday Monday.
'I'm not remorseful'
The prosecution said Mr Dardis was pushed into the water and run over with the boat's propeller.
Gerlach, who owned the boat, originally told police Mr Dardis had fallen into the sea and been run over by accident but during cross-examination he admitted this was not true.
He said Mr Dardis had attacked him, punching him several times, and that he and Borzoni, of Hamilton Road, Bournemouth, then pushed him off the boat.
In the recording played to the court, Gerlach told his wife: "I killed him, I killed him...I ran him over with the boat."
He added: "Yeah, I murdered him... and I'm not remorseful."