Dorset

Fire forces Bournemouth care home evacuation

Fire at Knyveton Hall Image copyright Ben Deakin
Image caption Eight crews were called to Knyveton Hall in Bournemouth, at about 11:40 GMT

Elderly residents were evacuated from a Dorset care home after an electrical fault sparked a blaze.

Eight crews were called to Knyveton Hall in Knyveton Road, Bournemouth, at about 11:40 GMT.

Dorset Fire and Rescue said crews found a "well-established fire" which started in a flat at the back of the building and spread to the roof.

A spokesman said 28 people had been led to safety with some suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

Others were treated for shock but no other injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire, which was extinguished by 13:15, was an electrical fault in a ceiling light.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites