Search called off for diver missing in English Channel
A search and rescue operation for a diver who went missing off the coast of Dorset will not be resumed.
Coastguards were alerted on Sunday afternoon by a dive vessel off Swanage, reporting only two out of three divers had resurfaced.
The major air and sea search of more than 10 square nautical miles was suspended at 23:00 BST on Sunday.
Dorset Police confirmed the missing man was in his mid-50s, from Taunton, Somerset.
Yachts involved in a race passing through the area also reported no sightings.
Coastguard commander Tristam Newey said: "This hasn't been an easy decision to make. This man is still missing and we appreciate the concern and worry this is causing his family and friends.
"This morning, in the absence of any further information, we have decided not to resume the search."
The coastguard said it received the call from the vessel Emma J at 16:40 BST.
Three divers had been exploring a wreck six miles south of Swanage, about 40 metres below the surface.