'More buses' as First Dorset bus drivers' strike continues
More buses are being laid on as drivers head into a third week of "reckless" strike action in a dispute over pay in Dorset, a bus operator has said.
More than 110 Weymouth and Bridport drivers have walked out claiming they are the "poor relations".
First Dorset said it was now operating about 90% of its normal services, compared to previously running about 87% during strike action.
It said the walk-out would "damage the local economy".
Union Unite has accused the operator of refusing to give ground after seven months of talks, and regional officer Bob Lanning had said the dispute had reached the "stuck record" stage.
He added Weymouth and Bridport drivers earned about £18,300-a-year, less than other First Group drivers in the West Country, and less than staff at rival firms in Bournemouth and Poole.
First Dorset previously said pay rates were agreed locally between the local operating company and union representatives.
Marc Reddy, from the firm, said: "We are in the midst of the summer season and, mindful of the fact that many people come to Weymouth for their summer break, we're frustrated that our drivers are taking this unnecessary, and somewhat reckless action, which will inevitably damage the local economy."
The first walk-out took place between 20 and 25 June. Drivers have currently been on strike since 27 June and are not set to return until 04:29 on 11 July.
First Dorset said it planned to run a "significant proportion" of its buses on Sunday - the first Sunday to be affected by the walk-out - including the open top 501 service between Weymouth and Portland Bill.
Services are running on an emergency timetable during the action.