Dorset

West Howe house blaze 'caused by cigarette'

West Howe fire Image copyright Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue
Image caption A family of four escaped the blaze

A discarded cigarette was the likely cause of a fire at a house in Bournemouth, investigators have found.

The blaze broke out in the house in Pilot Hight Road in West Howe shortly before 05:30 BST.

Fire scene investigators said the fire started after the contents of an ashtray were tipped into a bin, igniting tissues inside.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue said a family of four escaped unharmed from the house.

The service said the blaze destroyed a bedroom and caused severe smoke damage to the rest of the first floor.

At the height of the fire, flames were seen coming from the first-floor window and huge plumes of black smoke could be seen rising into the air.

Image copyright Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue
Image caption The bedroom in the house was destroyed when the fire took hold in the early hours
Image copyright Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue
Image caption Flames could be seen coming from the second floor window

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites