Essex

Investigation after man dies in Essex house fire

A man, believed to be in his 20s, has died in a house fire which started on Saturday morning in Essex.

Firefighters were called to the building in Chestnut Avenue, Clacton-on-Sea, just before 0800 BST.

After putting out the fire and entering the building firefighters discovered the body of a man and called police.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious, a police spokesman said. "A joint fire and police examination of the scene is under way," he said.

Andy Fearn, from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, said: "A small fire in the kitchen had caused the house to become filled with smoke and a man died as a result of smoke inhalation.

"The man appears to have asleep in the lounge when the fire broke out. There were no working smoke alarms in the house.

"A smoke alarm is the single most important piece of equipment in any home, they give vital early warning at the first sign of fire giving everyone inside time to get out."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites