Essex

Essex fire crews rescue woman and child from house

A woman and child have been rescued by firefighters from a house fire in Essex.

They were trapped in an upstairs bedroom in Rantree Fold, Basildon, as fire took hold on the ground floor of the house.

Fire crews found the pair hanging out of a first floor window when they arrived shortly after 0200 GMT and carried them to safety.

The woman and child had suffered the effects of smoke inhalation.

Station officer Paul Chipperfield said: "As soon as we arrived we could see the two of them trapped upstairs in the their heavily smoke filled home.

"The crews got a ladder up straight away and got them down safely."

An English bull terrier and a hamster were rescued from the ground floor of the house.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites