Essex man, 79, trapped in bed after ceiling collapse
A 79-year-old man from Essex was trapped in his bed after 50 boxes of magazines in his loft caused his bedroom ceiling to collapse.
Fire fighters were called to rescue the man trapped by the boxes, containing yachting magazines, overnight.
Crews were called to the house in Thistley Close, Goldhanger, about 11:00 GMT.
Staff formed a chain to remove the debris from the man, who had not been injured.
Leading firefighter Ian Smith, of Maldon Fire Station, said carers raised the alarm when they discovered the man during their routine morning calls.
"The man had stored about 50 boxes of magazines in the loft area, which had made the ceiling collapse on him, along with a lot of the boxes," Mr Smith said.
"Incidents like this show that people should not overload their lofts."