Essex

Three people rescued from Frinton care home fire

The Firs
Image caption Three people at The Firs were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation

A care home evacuated after a television caught fire has been declared safe for residents to return.

Firefighters were called to The Firs in Thorpe Road, in Kirby Cross near Frinton-on-Sea, at 17:50 BST on Thursday.

They rescued two residents and a carer from the first floor of the building, which had caught fire when a drink was spilt on a TV set.

The three were treated for the effects of "minor smoke inhalation".

Assistant divisional officer Lee Lucas said before staff were able to remove the TV it "burst into flames creating a great deal of thick black smoke".

The fire was extinguished by 18:35, the fire service said.

Sanaz Kadar, director of The Firs, which cares for younger adults, said they hoped to put right the damage caused "as quickly as possible".

"All the residents stayed here at The Firs after the building was confirmed safe by the fire services," he said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites