Essex

Oven Pride recall after Essex boy, two, drinks chemical

A domestic products firm has launched a recall after a two-year-old boy ended up seriously ill in hospital after swallowing oven cleaning fluid.

Callum Blackshaw, from Orsett, Essex, might need an oesophagus transplant after swallowing several mouthfuls of the chemical cleaner two weeks ago.

He is currently at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.

Oven Pride is investigating a "potential safety issue" and has started a product recall.

Callum, who has a twin brother called Calvin, is being fed by a drip as he receives treatment in hospital.

His mother Maxine is at his bedside.

'Deep concern'

The toddler consumed the liquid after his grandmother, police community support officer Carina Blackshaw, left it on a kitchen table.

It is understood Callum got on to the table and managed to open the bottle's child lock before swallowing some of the liquid.

Chris Bull, chief executive of McBride, which makes Oven Pride, said: "We are extremely distressed at this situation and our heart goes out to Callum and his family.

"Everyone here wishes him a full and speedy recovery. Clearly this is of deep concern to us and we are investigating how this happened as a matter of urgency.

"As a precaution, we are recalling all Oven and BBQ Pride stock in order to check the safety cap mechanism.

"Customer safety is paramount and so we have moved quickly and decisively to carry out the checks.

"We have set up a dedicated customer helpline and would ask customers to call if they have any questions."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites