Asa Pryke awaits jail in Dedham caravan court battle

Asa Pryke Asa Pryke faces jail over his caravans which do not have planning permission

Related Stories

A father-of-three is waiting to be taken away after he was jailed for four months over a row about caravans.

Asa Pryke, 47, and wife Gwen, 48, set up camp on their land in Dedham, Essex, in 2011 after their business collapsed.

Earlier this year they were given suspended prison sentences at the Civil Court of Appeal for breaching an earlier order to leave the site.

Mr Pryke was told he would be jailed on Monday. Mrs Pryke was given a reprieve to look after their teenage children.

Colchester Borough Council, which brought the case against the Prykes for developing the Constable Country plot without planning permission, said it had no alternative other than to take action.

'Upset and distress'

By 13:30 GMT on Monday, Mr Pryke had not been arrested and was still at the site in Dedham.

"I don't know really what I'm supposed to do," he said. "Nobody has told me. Am I supposed to go down to the police station and hand myself in or do I just wait here for a police car to arrive?"

The Prykes' caravans in Dedham The land in Dedham has been home to the Prykes since 2011

He said all he could do was wait and see what happened.

The ongoing legal row had "caused upset and distress" to his family, he said.

Mr Pryke said the family had "dug in its heels" on the issue because they had become homeless when they could no longer afford to pay rent on their previous property.

They were left with nowhere else to go, he said. "It is a very serious situation."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Essex

Weather

Chelmsford

Min. Night 14 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SailingGame on

    BBC Capital discovers why certain sports seem to have a special appeal for those with deep pockets

Programmes

  • European Union's anti-terrorism chief Gilles de KerchoveHARDtalk Watch

    Anti-terrorism chief Gilles de Kerchove on the threat from returning Islamic State fighters

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.