Pop star Tulisa found guilty of V Festival assault
- 25 July 2014
- From the section Essex
Singer Tulisa Contostavlos has been found guilty of assaulting a man at a music festival.
The 26-year-old denied hitting celebrity blogger Savvas Morgan at the V Festival in Chelmsford, Essex, in August last year.
She was ordered to pay £3,020, including £2,700 of legal costs, a £200 fine and £100 compensation.
The former X Factor judge's assistant, Gareth Varey, was cleared of using threatening behaviour.
The trial had previously heard how Mr Morgan suffered swelling to his eye after the assault.
He told the court Contostavlos raised her fists in the air and was swinging her arms in a backstage area at the festival.
District Judge Angus Hamilton, sitting at Stratford Magistrates' Court, said: "I am quite sure to the requisite standard of proof, based on my analysis of the evidence that I have heard, that Ms Contostavlos did strike Mr Morgan in the face during an argument and that that blow caused minor bruising and swelling."
In a statement after the guilty verdict, the former N-Dubz singer said: "This has been a rollercoaster week for me. I never wanted any of this.
"I did not assault Vas J Morgan and I am outraged at this decision. I will be appealing it."
Earlier this week, another trial involving Contostavlos collapsed, when a judge at Southwark Crown Court said there were "strong grounds" to believe undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood had lied on the witness stand.
Contostavlos had denied brokering a drugs deal, which had been reported in The Sun on Sunday last year.