Essex

Walton flat fire sparked by sunlight on mirror

Flat fire interior, Walton-on-Naze Image copyright Essex County Fire & Rescue Service
Image caption The investigation found the mirror received uninterrupted sunlight all morning

Sunlight reflecting on a magnifying mirror caused a flat fire which left a couple homeless, a fire service investigation has confirmed.

The flat was "completely alight" with the fire spreading to the roof when crews arrived at High Street in Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, on 2 May.

Essex fire service said the blaze was started by sunlight reflecting from the mirror on to a wooden window seal.

The couple were unharmed but they lost almost all of their possessions.

Image copyright Essex County Fire & Rescue Service
Image caption People are being warned not to leave similar mirrors in direct sunlight near "combustible materials"

Assistant divisional officer Simon Dedman said: "This incident is unusual but by no means the only time a fire has started like this.

"It was a two sided mirror with one side magnified and that was the side facing the sun."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites