Essex

Witham Leisure Centre chemical cloud injures eight

Ambulance and fire crews at Witham chemical incident
Image caption A small gas cloud was created after staff making chlorine mixed the wrong chemicals together, said Essex Fire Service

Eight people have been treated for breathing difficulties caused by a chemical bungle at a leisure centre.

Witham Leisure Centre in Essex was evacuated shortly before 11:30 GMT as firefighters made the area safe.

Assistant divisional officer Mark Huggins said "a small gas cloud was created" when centre staff making chlorine mixed the wrong chemicals.

Ambulance staff treated the people at the scene. Fire crews ventilated the building and made it safe by 13:30 GMT.

Image caption The pool was closed but the leisure centre's other facilities were reopened

A Braintree District Council spokesman said a review had begun "to establish what happened and why".

Witham Leisure Centre is run by the charity Fusion Lifestyle.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites