Boxing Junior Championships cancelled due to 'threat to life'
A national junior boxing tournament has been cancelled by police due to a "threat to life" for the second year running.
England Boxing's Junior Championships were due to take place at Basildon Sporting Village on Saturday and Sunday.
The governing body said the cancellation had ruined the "dreams of young boxers".
Essex Police confirmed it advised the organisers to cancel the tournament.
As first reported in the Essex Echo, the event was for 14 to 15 year old boxers.
It was cancelled in 2016 when it was due to take place in Portsmouth, also due to a "threat of life" warning.
'Disgraceful and disgusting'
England Boxing said it is attempting to find an alternative venue to re-run the competition in the future.
Chairman Casper Hobbs said: "There was a specific threat to life made which caused the police to enforce cancellation, despite us offering to double the security detail.
"It is disgraceful and disgusting that a few selfish and pathetic individuals can ruin the dreams of young boxers, and those who support them, for their own low and pathetic reasons.
"It is nothing short of outrageous. The same happened last year, that may be co-incidental or it may not be."
Essex Police said it was "unable to disclose the nature of the concerns prompting this cancellation".
It apologised for any "inconvenience" and "disappointment" caused to those who were due to take part.