Gloucestershire

Man dies in electric blanket fire in Gloucestershire

A man from Gloucestershire has died in a fire thought to have been caused by a faulty electric blanket.

Fire crews were called to what they described as "a small fire" in a bedroom at a bungalow in Innsworth near Gloucester at about 2100 GMT on Friday.

The elderly occupant was taken to hospital where he later died.

Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service said people need to have electric blankets regularly checked and ensure smoke alarms are in good working order.

Chief fire officer Jon Hall said: "This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.

"The service prides itself on protecting the community and we are deeply saddened that we couldn't save the life of this elderly gentleman."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites