Gloucestershire

Two Rivers housing association reviews asbestos plan

The boards at Brian Jackson's home were later found to contain asbestos
Image caption The boards at Brian Jackson's home were later found to contain asbestos

A Gloucestershire housing association has made changes to its procedures for dealing with asbestos after a tenant was exposed.

A report by the housing ombudsman found Two Rivers Housing Association did not follow guidelines when doing work on the home in Coleford.

Contractors cut through a board, later found to contain asbestos, while trying to cure a condensation problem.

Two Rivers acknowledged it had failed to follow the correct procedures.

'One-off' situation

Brian Jackson, who owns the affected bungalow, says he is concerned for his health, and worries it could happen to other tenants.

"I was really really frightened - I've always tried to look after myself - and to think I've been exposed to asbestos through no fault of my own makes me really angry.

"If we've caught it [asbestos-related disease] I don't know, it could happen in months, years - even up to in 25 years' time.

"It's like the sword of Damocles hanging over you," he said.

A Two Rivers spokesman said it believed the incident was a "one-off situation".

"We failed to follow the correct procedure for dealing with asbestos, but we have since made changes to prevent a recurrence of this."

Two Rivers manage some 3,600 homes in the Forest of Dean.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites