Deaf woman rescued by fire crews from Stroud house
A deaf woman who was asleep while a fire burned downstairs in her Stroud home has been rescued by firefighters.
The smoke alarm was heard by the woman's neighbours in Cashes Green who called for help at 0520 BST.
Chief fire officer Jon Hall said she was "completely unaware" of the fire. He said a door had prevented the fire from spreading through the property.
An ambulance crew treated the woman for the effects of smoke inhalation before taking her to hospital.
"Thankfully, the tenant had closed the door at the bottom of the stairs which prevented the fire from spreading and the smoke from getting into the stairwell and rising upstairs," said station manager Chris Spencer.
About 15 firefighters tackled the fire in the lounge area after forcing entry into the house through the patio window.
The fire service said the property had been fitted with three smoke alarms and a vibrating pad designed for people who are deaf.