Gloucestershire

Gas leak forces Newent shops evacuation

Emergency vehicles in Newent town centre
Image caption Emergency services were called out after a strong smell of gas was reported

A number of shops have been evacuated after a gas leak at a takeaway restaurant in Gloucestershire.

Emergency services were called to The Newent Tandoori in Broad Street, Newent, at about 11:30 BST following reports of a smell of gas.

Police said fire crews had to force their way into four neighbouring flats but no-one was found to be in.

The road was cordoned off for more than an hour while police and fire crews dealt with the incident.

A spokesperson for Gloucestershire County Council said fire crews had to break the restaurant's window to allow a gas engineer to gain access.

A team from Wales and West Utilities was sent to investigate.

A company spokesperson said properties and businesses in the immediate area were evacuated by the emergency services as a precautionary measure.

The road was reopened and the cordon was lifted at 12:45 BST.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites