Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Asleep man saved in Southampton flats chip pan fire

A man was rescued by firefighters when he fell asleep and an unattended chip pan on the hob caught fire at a block of flats in Hampshire.

A total of 28 firefighters, some in breathing gear, attended the blaze at Rotterdam Towers in Southampton at about 2220 BST on Friday night.

An elderly man was rescued from his flat and treated for smoke inhalation.

Hampshire fire service reminded people not to leave food cooking unattended, especially at night.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites