Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Stranded Southampton footballer Lee Barnard denies attack

Lee Barnard
Image caption Barnard signed for Southampton Football Club from Southend United in January 2010

A lawyer entered a not guilty plea to assault on behalf of his footballer client after the Southampton striker was stranded in Spain.

Lee Barnard was due home on Tuesday after a holiday but his flight was cancelled due to an electrical storm.

He is accused of an attack outside the city's White House bar on 3 October which left a man with head injuries.

Mr Barnard's lawyer pleaded not guilty on his behalf to assault causing actual bodily harm at Southampton Crown Court.

Mr Barnard, 26, of Ocean Village, signed for the newly-promoted Championship club from Southend United in January 2010.

His lawyer Ian Kelsey told the court Mr Barnard had been on holiday in Barcelona.

He said Easyjet had confirmed the flight had been cancelled and that the earliest possible flight would be later on Wednesday.

A trial date was not set.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites