Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Suspected carbon monoxide death at New Forest campsite

Red Shoot Camping Park
Image caption The man died at Red Shoot Camping Park near Ringwood

A man has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a campsite in the New Forest in Hampshire.

A police spokesman confirmed the death on 15 July of 50-year-old Vincent Clare, from Milton Keynes, was not being treated as suspicious.

The spokesman added that there was speculation a gas barbecue had been taken into a tent.

Jacqui Oldfield, the owner of Red Shoot Camping Park, near Ringwood, said: "We are all very shocked and saddened."

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) spokesperson Jo Bullock said: "It's crucial not to take a barbecue into a tent - either for cooking or warmth - even if it is merely cooling down."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites