Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Dan Seaborne 'progressing' after Southampton attack

Dan Seaborne
Image caption Dan Seaborne is said to be progressing in hospital after the attack

A footballer badly hurt in an attack outside a nightclub could soon be released from hospital, his club said.

Southampton player Dan Seaborne, 24, was found injured on the pavement with serious head injuries outside Junk nightclub in the city early on Friday.

In a statement on its website, the Championship club said doctors were "hopeful" the player would be discharged from hospital within days.

Two men arrested over the attack have been released from police custody.

Hampshire police said a 35-year-old man from Southampton, arrested after the incident, had been released on bail pending further inquiries.

The second man, a 29-year-old from the city, has been released without charge.

It appears the centre-half had been inside the club in London Road with friends when an argument took place.

The row then escalated outside and police were called to the scene at 02:51 BST.

Thousands of people have joined Facebook groups titled Get well soon Dan Seaborne and messages of support have been added on Twitter.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites