Norovirus outbreak shuts Stamshaw Schools in Portsmouth
Two Portsmouth schools have been closed to pupils and staff after a suspected outbreak of norovirus.
Stamshaw Junior School and Stamshaw Infant School were both closed following the onset of the highly infectious stomach bug.
Portsmouth City Council said the outbreak was contained to the junior school. The infant school was closed as a precaution.
The junior school is undergoing a deep clean before it reopens on Monday.
The schools each have about 200 pupils.
Norovirus lives in the gut and causes both diarrhoea and vomiting.
Dr Paul Edmondson-Jones, director of public health for NHS Portsmouth, said: "Outbreaks in busy places such as hospitals, nursing homes and schools are common because the virus can survive for several days on surfaces or objects touched by an infected person."