Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Fungi poison fears after dog dies in Andover

Jake died after eating a wild mushroom
Image caption Mr Marchment hopes the warning might help save other dogs

A dog owner from Hampshire has warned other owners to be on their guard after his pet ate a wild mushroom and died.

Fred Marchment saw his dog Jake eat the fungus whilst on a walk on Danebury Hill Fort, near Andover.

The one year-old springer collie cross became seriously ill about half an hour after his walk, and began salivating.

Jake was taken to the vets, but he died within three hours. Mr Marchment said: "He was in a lot of pain, the toxins had got into him."

'Broken hearts'

Mr Marchment said he was walking his three dogs with his wife on the Iron Age hill fort when they saw Jake dip his head and eat something.

"We called to him to stop, but it was too late," he said.

He believes the mild weather has made the fungus unusually abundant. "If you see any fungus, be extremely wary. We are devastated, it has broken our hearts," he said.

More on this story